Sunday, December 01, 2013

Open letter to Regina Spektor

Dear Regina,

I hope you don't mind me calling you Regina but as I listen to a fair amount of your music I do feel as though I know you even though you don't know me.

Your song “Laughing with” on the album “far” refers to how people always turn to God in times of crisis. It is a delightfully catchy tune and a little thought provoking. It starts...

No one laughs at God in a hospital
No one laughs at God in a war
No one’s laughing at God
When they’re starving or freezing or so very poor

No one laughs at God
When the doctor calls after some routine tests
No one’s laughing at God
When it’s gotten real late
And their kid’s not back from the party yet

No one laughs at God
When their airplane start to uncontrollably shake
No one’s laughing at God
When they see the one they love, hand in hand with someone else
And they hope that they’re mistaken

The full lyrics can be found on AZLyrics although you know them off-by-heart I am sure. I write because I think the underlying sentiment is one often heard but seldom rebutted. We are irrational creatures, we grasp at straws when hope fades, we see patterns in pareidolia, and we find cause and effect in coincidences. 

Can I suggest that in the interests of balance the following verses are added?

No one trusts in God when approaching a red light
No one believes in God enough to throw away their armour
No one thinks first responders should cast aside the jaws-of-life 
and be equipped instead with holy verse
No one laughs with God in a Tsunami

No one challenges God when faced with stoning or amputation
No one thinks the airplane can fly only on the wings of prayer
No one is an unbeliever when faced by crusaders
No one turns first to God when an intruder enters their home

No one laughs at science when seeing the ultrasound of tiny beating heart
No one follows God when falling in love for the very first time
No one mocks the laws the physics when crossing the Golden Gate Bridge
No one clamours for the holy book when starving or freezing
unless it is to light a fire 

While I appreciate that the music industry is notoriously dogmatic about copyright enforcement I offer these verses under the Creative Commons License (BY). Thus feel free to use adapt these in any manner you see fit.

I trust you won't find it presumptuous for me to write to you in this manner and hope that you will consider the proposed revision. I accept that I have very little chance of being a songwriter but in this case I have plenty of experience of the subject matter at hand as I am human.


Yours sincerely


Bobby Abraham

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:05 am

    nice thoughts...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete