Saturday, June 30, 2007

Looking out a rain splatted window

Ever since we got back from camping and climbing in Wales earlier this year I've been hoping to return in order to do some of the longer climbs there.

Unfortunately the rope work is rather complicated for five climbers over six pitches and 120 metres so I thought it best that initially just two of us do a climb or two.

This week Annalise has been sick, otherwise I would have been planning a trip to Craig yr Ogof with Stephen this weekend.

Had I been uncaring enough to even contemplate going I might have realised that we would need to leave at 3:30am in order to travel the 5 plus hours and hike the 45 minute approach route, do the climb and then return by 10pm that evening. I would have known where to park the car, the quickest route and where to fill up with petrol. I would have convinced Stephen that he wanted, and indeed needed, this experience and we might have planned the trip to the minutest detail.

But no I am not uncaring and insensitive. For if I was we would have had to pack rain gear to cope with the 40mm of rain falling today in Wales and predicted again for tomorrow. Had I been the least bit uncaring I might have brought up the time 17 years ago when I cancelled a trip to the Drakensberg mountains on account of her been morning sick with Stephen.

Of course I did none of these things because I CARE.

No comments:

Post a Comment