Tuesday, June 19, 2007

New growth

This evening after work we went down to the nursery and bought
  • A climbing rose
  • A red pepper (might it be green ?)
  • A replacement wall bracket
  • A marrow (I think they like to climb ?)
  • An aubergine, eggplant, or brinjal (Solanum melongena)
I re-hung the front-door flower basket (the previous bracket was rusted), planted the veggies and the rose.

The rose will grow horizontally towards the house until it hits the wall, it will then it grow upwards a metre or two when it will turn around the corner and fill the space above the kitchen window and the upstairs bed-room window. A hope I got the rose programmed to do this !

I don't expect the crop of vegetables will feed the whole family through the winter - heavens we haven't enough space to store such a crop - but it will be satisfying to watch them grow, I can see them while using the computer.

I found a dead bird, could this be bird-flu ?, and performed the required burial away from veggies - might this have affected their organic status ?

Actually I've always felt farming was more of an art form than mere utilitarian food production. I would be tempted to paint my cows and sheep in bright colours and mix my wheat, sun-flowers and poppies.

It has just started to rain and is getting dark outside - I made a scratch on the fence above the red, or green, pepper so perhaps tomorrow I'll detect some growth.

3 comments:

  1. Someone told me that yellow peppers are just green peppers picked later in the ripening cycle, and red peppers are picked riper still. Not sure if that is true and too lazy to google it. Certainly the ripening theory matches the relative sweetness of the different colours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think marrows climb, I think they just sort of spread along the ground.

    xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think Gregor Mendel had to put up with such nay sayers.

    I hope to cross yellow peppers with green peppers to produce blue ones and the marrow WILL climb.

    ReplyDelete