Thursday, August 30, 2007

My Dad

Picture from 2001



It is almost two years since my father died, struck down by a heart attack. Hearing the news was unbelievably devastating. Even now with time having passed there is so much I want to show him. We have always had very different interests - he wanting to build and fix things while I was more partial to computer software but these days I am constantly reminded of things he would like to see, and I would enjoy showing him, - a steam train, a vintage car, a construction technique, a documentary or any one of hundreds of small things I think he would like to see.

It always seems like a miracle to me each time I start the lawn mower with a couple of pulls on the starter cord because one of the enduring memories of my childhood includes him replacing points, spark plugs and other bits on the mower before the lawn could be mowed. In fact he would usually build something to "assist" in the fixing of other things. Did he do this because he enjoyed it or did we just not have the money to buy a new one ?

Mom and Dad visited us on two occasions while we were in Florida but I wish he could have visited us here in the UK - I am sure he would have really enjoyed it - the shared history and the fact that the UK is littered with people with similar interests as him. They spend hours in the rain noting passing trains, they build and drive model trains, full size trains and historical railways.

Bizarrely I find myself drawn to things just because I can remember the affection he had for them - am I turning into my father ? I wonder what emotions moulded his interests stretching back before I was even born.

His ashes were scattered on the site of this model railway.



Miss you dad.

1 comment:

  1. what a lovely touching tribute to your dad Bobby.

    jo (annalise's friend)

    ReplyDelete