Monday, March 05, 2007

Navigation using a paper map - really

Our car navigation system was stolen a month ago and we have been reduced to navigating using a paper based map book. So what you may ask ? Well we haven't done this for the last 6 years.

Strange thing is that it feels somewhat liberating, I am gaining a greater sense of spatial connectedness. I have had to figure out finding north using clues like shadows and position of sun in the sky. It's a bit like camping or doing grocery shopping without the Internet.

I think I'll wait a couple of months before replacing the Nav system so that I can re-develop the navigation skills of a pigeon and/or salmon.

Ultimately though I want to know the closest place to eat, how to recover from a missed turn and traffic updates and speed camera warnings would be nice. Oh and how to get home after a long day when everyone else has gone to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment