Thursday, July 19, 2007

Genesis

I have finished Genesis, my intention is to read a chapter a month in the hope that I'll gain an better understanding, of what exactly I am not sure.

I couldn't find a review of this on amazon nor establish conclusive authorship.

Some observations

1. Genesis is poorly written, includes repetition, some very poor characterisation, muddled plot and in need of some major editing. Are the lists of family trees really needed for instance ?

2. People start off living 900 plus years, enough time to have several children. Later off they are living to a mere 120 years during which time they are able to have the same number of children. Is this a translation mistake or have medical advances taken us backwards and given us shorter life spans.

3. Punishing entire families or clans, for generations sometimes, because of an individual isn't fair.

4. These are not nice people. The good guys indulge in rape, plunder, murder and incest. Abraham twice passes his wife off as his sister so that she is taken by another man and offers his own virgin daughters up for sex to protect two visiting angels (can't they protect themselves ?)

I would rate this 18 for violence, Sex and content.

2 comments:

  1. I embarked on a similar project when I was about 14. I gave up at some point in Leviticus. You'll see why when you get there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Or was it Numbers?

    For a much steamier read, try Songs of Solomon.

    ReplyDelete