Monday, July 09, 2007

Legacy, what legacy ?

So with Tony Blair resigning, and the subsequent talk of the nature of his legacy, I have been giving some thought to my own legacy. What has particularly alarmed me is he speed at which the builders have been at ripping, tearing and generally teasing the wood-work in our attic into a well designed living area.

Compare their work to mine today .....

My current project is adding functionality to a set of eclipse plug-ins that will aid software developers with the incorporation of a specific security framework used in my company into their own software projects. This security framework is also my responsibility. Now if you are a software developer, or at least a software developer using Java and Eclipse, you may have little idea about what I just said but if you aren't I bet you haven't a clue - and this is my point.

The best outcome for this project is that it improves productivity but because security requirements are so diverse even after using the the plug-in manual tweaking will still be required afterwards. Some people will use it while others will choose not to. Within a couple of years technology will have moved on and there will be a good chance it will become redundant.

Developing software can be considered architecture but despite the use of design patterns like facades, factories and singletons none of what we develop has the endurance of a cathedral, a house or even a loft conversion. No future archaeologist is going to be digging and stumble an eclipse plug-in - "thought to be particularly fine specimen of software dating from the early 21st century".

If this wasn't bad enough none of my children have yet sailed solo around the world, climbed Mt Everest or K2 or in fact become child prodigies at anything. This despite all the advantages of genes and environment.

Would some-one please notice me.

No comments:

Post a Comment